Pumpkin is the new chocolate and red is the new brown … red walnuts that is. Red Walnuts will make a great addition to your pumpkin spice cake.
- 2 cups organic all-purpose unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 sticks of organic unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup organic granulated sugar
- 1¼ cup light brown organic sugar, lightly packed
- 4 extra-large organic eggs, at room temperature
- 1 -15 ounce can of organic pumpkin purée, not pie filling
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ – 8 ounce package of light cream cheese (4 ounces), room temperature
- ¼ stick of organic unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon of pure maple syrup
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- splash of vanilla
- pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup of organic toasted red walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and adjust your rack to the center.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer cream the butter and sugars on medium speed for 3- 4 minutes or until pale and fluffy. Reduce the speed and add in eggs 1 by 1 until completely combined.
- Turn off the mixer, scrape down the sides, and add vanilla extract.
- On low speed add in the dry ingredients and mix for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour into lightly buttered nonstick Bundt pan and place into the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter, once smooth add the maple syrup
- Turn down your mixer and add the powdered sugar a little at a time until smooth.
- Finish with a splash of vanilla and a pinch of salt.
- Drizzle frosting over the top of the cooled cake and sprinkle with walnuts.