Mixing the traditional with the new. Add our signature Red Walnuts to add a whole new experience and taste to your sour cream coffee cake!
Ingredients for Cake:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 pint sour cream
Ingredients for the Red Walnut Cinnamon Swirl:
- 1 1/4 cup Red Walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease the tube pan with butter and coat all sides with flour, tapping out any excess. Set aside. Add the flour, baking powder and baking soda to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Combine the walnut cinnamon swirl ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and eggs and beat to combine, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the sour cream, followed by the flour mixture and beat until just combined. Do not over mix.
- The batter for this coffee cake will be a bit on the thick side, making it difficult to ‘pour’ into the prepared pan. Instead, scoop a third of the batter out of the mixing bowl in large scoops and place into the bottom of the tube pan. Use a spatula to smooth the batter out into an even layer. Sprinkle a third of the cinnamon walnut mixture over the top and using a butter knife, press the swirl mixture down into the batter in a few spots. Continue with another two layers of batter and swirl mixture, ending with the cinnamon walnut layer on top.
- Bake for 75-90 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let the coffee cake cool for about an hour before releasing from the pan.
- As for the cream cheese frosting, in a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer. With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla extract. Spread over cake, slice and enjoy!